Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Improving my English

Funny but weird is often a suggestion given is to read Editorial section of a newspaper to improve one's English. But I have my own opinions on the idea.I request you all, please, for god sake please, don't read the Editorial section in an attempt to improve your English.
Apart from really few, most of the Editorials are written by Academics - who really want to show off their prowess in English vocabulary. Better read other parts of the newspaper with has a Journalistic touch. Usually Journalists follow an 'inverted pyramid' framework that captures the reader in first instance. I suggest one to read more of Feature stories and other journalistic writings. 
One other best place to find good writing is in blogs. One of the best article I keep referring to, to get advice on writing well was written by Leo Baubauta. And his advice works - Proof: Check out his personal blog ZenHabits - there are 170,000 readers and listed as top ten blogs by Times.  
One other place to find good writing is Readers Digest...

No comments:

Post a Comment