Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Visit to Malaiyur


Seldom did I guess that it would be an inspirational journey. My two years of experience at a tribal pocket in Jawadhu hills gave me the necessary will and confidence to agree upon or at least didn’t scare me. Thus the journey to Malaiyur village began on 24th June, 2013 (Monday).
A secluded village – roadless – unconnected – perched on top of a mountain (I was told it belongs to the Sirumalai hills range). Amazing to see a community of 200 odd families that have been living up there for generations – though not categorized under Scheduled Tribes (ST). The walk itself was ardous – didn’t expect such a steep climb and the ageing started kicking in. Yeah my vigour of 20s is soon to end. But I found it worth only after seeing those sweet kids studying at their night school/ tuition centre.
A bunch of carefree lower primary schoolers are a treatise to any teacher – couldn’t help myself getting in the rhythm with their multiplication tables and rhymes. So cute they are. I went into narrating stories – which was wonderful. For the first time, I started realizing a proper story teller and a narrator blossoming within me. This inspired my friend Ranjith from EcoLogin who was accompanied with me to join the crowd. Little did I know that I can narrate such stories – Thonthi vayiru Ramasamy, Varam ketta Rana, Tortoise-Hare story part-2 (yeah! There is a sequel to it!) (Courtesy Rajendran sir). Little did I know I was at bliss.
How it all started?
Given the remoteness of the village, the discrimination was obvious – both socially and economically. There is this one person named Ponnazhagan who took on a lead to do something for his community. An 8th standard pass-out, he realized the importance of Education that could bring a life-changing impact upon his kins. He himself struggled hard to study, for he had to walk at least two and a half hours to reach the nearest school at Mulaiyur village. This struggle inspired him to start a night school or a tuition centre at his village to help those students out some ten years before. Now this tuition centre has been catering to a large number of children year after year – that there are graduates in BA, MA, MSW, Diplomas looking back at this humble centre for aiding them out. And of course, it doesn’t end here and a lot more needs to be done and could be done for this community
How to reach the village?
You can reach the village by taking the bus to Natham from Dindigul or Madurai. From Natham, there are share autos that take a detour on Dindigul road at a village called Erumanaickenpatti and to reach a hamlet called Elliparai where Ponnalazhagan stays. From there is a 3 km hike uphill to reach Malaiyur. For more plans on visiting this place one can get in touch with EcoLogin www.ecologin.org.

2 comments:

  1. good and sensible post. Thanks Sathya. Let me discuss with DHAN's Dindigul team to support or explore possibilities to this little village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Janaki sir! It will be a great help for the villagers. For any more support and contact details you can get in touch with the EcoLogin team - Mr.Sridhar.

      Delete