Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Theory of Non-Possession

Yesterday, returning to my room, I was all wet and drowned. My soul was grasping for some fresh air to fill its lungs with - my soul was drowning. Already tired I couldn't pin point on intending what to do next - I slumped back on my bed. I could only think and think harder on the very subject of life. Will I ever be able to live a much better, joyful life? Will I ever be able to get those I always wanted for?
For the moment, I never thought I had been asking the wrong questions to get the right answer.
Then it happened - I had to come across this thickly bounded book called 'The Mind of the Mahatma'. Never to mention - you might have guessed what the book is about. I scrambled through pages and hit upon the most diametrically opposite theme on which I had been so long pondering upon - the subject was Non-possession.
Here I was thinking of how to get those things that I wanted, while trying to read the words of Mahatma Gandhi on his experience of 'non-possession'. I should have been kidding myself. Not really.
"Though I embrace poverty, nevertheless I should say that I am the richest man on this earth!"
That struck me - struck me really hard!
This wisdom that I was lacking was the very answer to the question I was searching for.
What if I could embrace poverty, non-possession? What if I could want nothing? What if I could be freed of expectations and subsequent drudgery to claim it over?

No comments:

Post a Comment